Anyone who has experienced a receding hairline knows how frustrating that can be. If you suffer from hair loss, you are not alone. A majority of Americans experience hair loss before the age of 35. The good news is that there is help. A hair transplant is the obvious answer. However, there are various methods available to you, and it’s good to know how exactly they work. Today we will tell you all you need to know about hair restoration with the NeoGraft automated FUE method.
Before NeoGraft: Manual FUE Hair Restoration
Automated FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) is one of the best developments in the hair replacement field in recent years. FUE is a minimally-invasive hair restoration method that is safe, has a fast recovery, and produces great outcomes. But even though an FUE hair transplant offers many advantages to the patient, the majority of hair restoration doctors do not actually offer it. Why not?
First, FUE hair restoration without the NeoGraft automated device is done manually. Doing FUE manually is very tedious and time consuming, making the procedure too costly for most patients.
Second, it is difficult to learn the FUE procedure. Unless the doctor becomes very skilled, there is a risk of higher damage rates to follicles than with the more commonly-used “Strip” method. Many doctors offer a wide variety of plastic surgery services where hair transplants are just one part of their business. They don’t perform hair restoration regularly.
Third, manual FUE requires the use of a forceps to extract the follicles, which can further damage the implants.
As a result, many plastic surgeons have not been willing to spend the time to learn this procedure. Instead, they often prefer the more invasive but faster Strip or Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) surgery.
The Advantages of NeoGraft Automated FUE Hair Restoration
Now, with the NeoGraft automated FUE hair restoration machine, the problems with manual FUE hair restoration have been eliminated. An FUE hair transplant with NeoGraft can be done in the same amount of time as a hair transplant using the Strip method. This has substantially reduced the cost of FUE hair restoration. In addition to reducing the time required for the transplant, NeoGraft uses pneumatic pressure to both extract and reinsert the follicles. This eliminates the need for handling the grafts with forceps. In the hands of an experienced NeoGraft technician, the transection (damage) rate of FUE is very low.
With the disadvantages of manual FUE eliminated, let’s turn to the advantages of NeoGraft automated FUE hair restoration over the Strip method:
- Less invasive: Compared to the Strip method, where an entire strip of hair is surgically removed from the donor area of the patient’s head, FUE hair restoration is much less invasive. With FUE, each graft from the back of the head is harvested individually and placed in the thinning or balding areas on the top of the head. The hair at the back of the head is genetically programmed not to fall out (not affected by the DHT hormone which has been linked to hair loss).
- No general anesthesia: With the FUE hair restoration method there is also little bleeding and fewer complications than with the Strip method. The procedure is performed with a mild local anesthetic. No intravenous or intra-muscular sedation is required, and definitely no general anesthesia.
- No linear scars: Most importantly, with FUE there are no linear scars like those resulting from the Strip method. Over time, such scars can stretch out and become quite visible. With NeoGraft automated FUE there is no visible scarring, allowing you to wear your hair as short as you want after the procedure.
- Low risk of pain or trauma: There is little chance of damage to nerves, meaning a vastly reduced risk of pain or trauma to major blood vessels.
- No limitation to exercise: There are fewer limitations on activities for the first few weeks, allowing you to engage in even strenuous exercise within just a day of the procedure. You also won’t have any feeling of tightness in the scalp that can happen from suturing after surgery. NeoGraft does not have any of these issues.
Ask Your Hair Replacement Provider for NeoGraft
Overall, NeoGraft is one of the easiest, fastest, and most proven methods for male and female hair restoration on the market today. It is especially popular among people who do not want to take a break from their active lifestyle and prefer to get back to normal within a short period of time. The fact that it allows you to wear your hair in any style, including very short, is a substantial bonus. Patients unhappy with FUT who follow up with NeoGraft are overwhelmingly surprised at how much easier it is.
If you don’t ask your hair clinic about NeoGraft, you’re missing out on the easiest and most effective hair loss treatment.
If a plastic surgeon or hair replacement center does not offer NeoGraft, they probably do not have a dedicated NeoGraft master technician with the required experience. When you have your consultation, ask how many years of hair restoration experience the specialist has. Also make sure you get to view his or her particular before and after pictures vs generic marketing materials.
If your preferred provider does offer NeoGraft, you might want to secure a second quote from another provider to compare costs. While it’s never a good idea to base your decision purely on price, there is quite a variance in the cost per graft charged by hair replacement centers. Costs can also vary regionally. It may make sense to take advantage of a provider’s travel package to go elsewhere if your local market is more expensive.
We hope we’ve helped you better understand the NeoGraft automated FUE hair restoration procedure. Visit our Hair Transplant FAQ page for additional details.
About Hair Doctor
With over 20 years of experience in FUE hair restoration and led by a double-board certified plastic surgeon, we are a leading provider of affordable hair transplants in the Southeast. Visit us at our Nashville Hair Doctor or Memphis Hair Doctor offices, or take advantage of our complimentary travel package for out-of-town patients. Read more>>