Male pattern baldness is a common problem that affects many men of different ages. Losing hair can be distressing, and it may be difficult to know what to expect. However, understanding the various stages of male pattern baldness can help you prepare and cope with hair loss. Nashville Hair Doctor is a Tennessee-based hair restoration center specializing in FUE (follicular unit extraction) hair transplant procedures. We understand the ins and outs of male pattern baldness and are confident that a FUE hair transplant is the best course of action. Here, we will inform you about the five stages of male pattern baldness and how the FUE hair transplant from Nashville Hair Doctor can help restore your hairline, increasing confidence and sense of self.
What to Know About Male Pattern Baldness
What Is Male Pattern Baldness (MPB)?
Male pattern baldness is a genetic condition that affects men. It is caused by a hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) that makes the hair follicles shrink and eventually stop growing hair. Male pattern baldness usually starts with hair loss in the front and top of the head, which can progress to complete baldness in some cases.
As per WebMD, by the age of 35, roughly two-thirds of American men will experience some noticeable hair loss. This percentage increases to around 85% by the time they reach 50 years old, when the hair thinning becomes significantly evident. About 25% of men who suffer from male pattern baldness undergo the process before they reach age 21.
Don’t let these numbers scare you, though. There are natural and virtually indecipherable solutions to address this hair loss. At Nashville Hair Doctor, we recommend and specialize in the FUE hair transplant method. By removing quality hair follicles from donor areas on your scalp, we can implant those follicles into areas where your hair is balding or thinning. You can reverse the signs of male pattern baldness and regain your natural head of hair.
Understanding the Five Stages of MPB
There are five male pattern baldness stages. These stages are classified based on the level of hair loss and the pattern. The five stages of male pattern baldness are:
- Stage 1 – Mild Hair Loss: In this early stage of male pattern baldness, hair loss often goes unnoticed by many, as the hair loss is minimal. It may manifest as subtle thinning or recession of the hairline, typically at the temples or on the crown of the head. At this point, it may not be a cause for concern for most individuals.
- Stage 2 – Moderate Hair Loss: As male pattern baldness progresses to stage 2, hair loss becomes more noticeable. A receding hairline becomes more prominent, and the thinning of hair on the crown of the head becomes evident. This stage often prompts individuals to seek solutions, such as hairstyles that mask the thinning areas.
- Stage 3 – Extensive Hair Loss: In this stage, hair loss becomes more extensive, and the scalp becomes increasingly visible. A significant bald spot may develop on the crown of the head. This is where individuals may explore treatment options, such as medications or hair restoration procedures, to combat the progressing hair loss.
- Stage 4 – Advanced Hair Loss: This stage marks a more advanced level of hair loss. Only a minimal amount of hair remains on the sides and back of the head. The bald spot on the crown of the head may start to merge with the receding hairline, resulting in a more pronounced and noticeable pattern of hair loss. Many individuals in this stage consider more aggressive approaches to restoring their hair, including hair transplant surgery.
- Stage 5 – Complete Baldness: The final stage of male pattern baldness is characterized by complete baldness on the top of the head, while hair on the sides and back may still be present. At this point, individuals have limited options for restoring hair on the bald areas and often resort to shaving their heads or embracing their bald look.
Each stage of male pattern baldness represents a different degree of hair loss and pattern. Recognizing your current hair loss stage is essential for individuals who wish to address it. It will help you determine the most appropriate course of action through lifestyle adjustments, medical treatments, or hair restoration procedures. Ultimately, dealing with male pattern baldness is personal, with some individuals embracing their baldness with confidence while others desire to explore various options to restore their hair.
How to Cope With Male Pattern Baldness
Coping with your male pattern of balding and thinning hair can be challenging, but you can do some things to make it easier. You can try different hairstyles, such as a buzz cut or a shaved head. You can also use hair products that make your hair look thicker. Additionally, you can talk to a therapist or join a support group to manage the stress and anxiety associated with hair loss.
Different treatment options for male pattern baldness include medications, hairpieces, and hair transplant surgery. Some medications can reduce hair loss and promote growth. Hairpieces, such as wigs or toupees, can cover up bald spots. However, hair transplant surgery is the only permanent solution to male pattern baldness, and at Nashville Hair Doctor, we recommend the FUE hair transplant method.
Can Male Pattern Baldness Be Cured?
How the FUE Hair Transplant From Nashville Hair Doctor Can Help
FUE hair transplantation is a minimally invasive procedure that involves extracting hair follicles from the donor area and transplanting them to the recipient area. The FUE hair transplant is a reliable way to restore hairlines and promote hair growth. The hair restoration specialists at Nashville Hair Doctor are highly skilled and experienced in performing FUE hair transplants. With a FUE hair transplant from Nashville Hair Doctor, you can regain your confidence and look your best.
Hair loss can be distressing, but understanding the different stages of male pattern baldness can help you prepare and cope with it. Nashville Hair Doctor offers FUE hair restoration to address this problem. Contact us today for a free quote and review our before and after photos to see our excellent results. Don’t put off a full head of hair any longer!