Cosmetic procedures and plastic surgery have come a long way in the last few decades. Not only are far more people likely to seek the help of a plastic surgeon to bolster their appearance, the procedures themselves have become better. Newer technologies have led to more natural-looking results, and better anesthesia methods have shortened recovery times. It’s easier than ever before to look better and boost your confidence with a little outside help.
NeoGraft Rocks the Physical Recovery Time After a Hair Transplant
For hair transplants in particular, your physical recovery time is fantastic. Especially if you choose Follicular Unit Extraction, i.e. NeoGraft. It is just as effective as other hair transplant techniques in giving you the hair growth you want, but where NeoGraft rocks is the short recovery. If you have your hair harvested using the Strip Method (also called Follicular Unit Transplantation or FUT), your scalp will need time to heal from the cut where the surgeon removed an entire strip of hair. This can last up to 4 weeks, a time when you won’t be allowed to do any physical exercise.
Guess how much time, by contrast, you’ll need to allocate for your recovery after a NeoGraft hair transplant? One day, two at most. Yes, that’s right – you will wake up the next morning and feel perfectly fine, and you’re cleared to engage in whichever physical activity you want. This is why professional athletes overwhelmingly opt for NeoGraft over other methods.
But How Soon Do I Want to Go Back to Work?
While having had your hair follicles transplanted doesn’t create any physical impairment, it isn’t invisible. After a hair transplant, your head will be covered in a series of tiny red dots from the punctures of the NeoGraft device, both where the follicles were extracted and where they were reinserted. These will scab over and fade after about a week to ten days, and at the same time your hair will begin to grow in. However, as we all know, hair isn’t all that fast to grow.
The question, then, is how long you should give it before you go back out in public. If you’re a professional athlete, this isn’t a problem. You might already sport a shaved head, or even wear a helmet or hat for your sport. You’ll simply go back out there and throw your passes while your hair begins to slowly grow in.
For those of us with a corporate job it might not be so easy. Image may be an important part of your job, and you may carefully cultivate your corporate persona. This probably includes a nice – and mostly unchanging – hairdo. Ironically, the concern about your corporate image may be the reason you are seeking out a hair transplant in the first place! If you suddenly show up for your board meeting in a baseball cap or a shaved head, it might at the least invite some unwelcome questions.
Why It’s Different for Women with Hair Transplants
If you are a woman experiencing thinning hair – not at all uncommon – you may now think, “then a hair transplant is not for me.” While a man can grow back his hair relatively fast after a hair transplant, or simply pretend he is going for a shorter cut, a woman typically doesn’t have this luxury.
However, it’s important to know that hair loss affects women differently from men. While men experience male-pattern baldness mostly on the top of their heads with healthy hair at the back and around the sides, most women experience uniformly thinning hair. This means that hair transplants are also done differently based on gender. Since for women the healthy hair doesn’t all come from one small area on the back of the head but rather from everywhere, shaving an entire area isn’t necessary. Rather, discreet smaller areas are used for the extraction of follicles, and since a woman’s hair is typically longer, it can very easily disguise those areas. For more information about women and hair transplants, click here.
Steps for Planning Your Hair Transplant Ahead of Time
At the Nashville Hair Doctor, many of our male patients have the concern described above. They do not want to stand out after their procedure when they go back to work. The key for them is to plan their hair transplant long-term, and to time it perfectly to coincide with their vacation planning. Here are some steps you can take now to plan for your hair transplant later in the year:
- Schedule a confidential consultation. Going to personal consultations at one (or several) hair restoration clinics will give you an idea of the number of hair grafts you’ll need for the best results, your estimated cost, and your likely recovery time.
- Make a decision. Once you’ve made a decision, you can let your provider know months ahead of time that you plan to have your procedure at their facility. This will ensure they stay in touch with you and alert you about any specials they might be running.
- Book your procedure. Booking your procedure early ensures you get onto their calendar way in advance. This will allow you to get the exact time slot that you need. Obviously, the typical vacation times fill up quickly, especially around Christmas and New Year’s when many companies shut down for the holidays. If timing is important to you, having secured the time slot that you want will make your life much easier.
- Secure financing. Ask your provider about financing offers and ask them to help you with your application. The approval process may take a bit of time, so it’s a good idea to get this out of the way prior to your procedure. At Nashville Hair Doctor, we walk you through the application process to receive interest-free financing. If you plan to pay for your procedure outright, you might want to start putting away a set amount every month to save up for it.
- Plan your vacation. Since you’ll be taking time off while your hair grows back in, you might as well make the best of it!
We hope that we’ve helped you better understand what comes after a hair transplant. As always, we’d love to help you through this exciting but perhaps also unnerving phase of your life. Please call the Nashville Hair Doctor at (615) 866-1977 if you have any questions about hair restoration!
About Hair Doctor
With over 20 years of experience in FUE hair restoration and led by a double-board certified plastic surgeon, we are a leading provider of affordable hair transplants in the Southeast. Visit us at our Nashville Hair Doctor or Memphis Hair Doctor offices, or take advantage of our complimentary travel package for out-of-town patients. Read more>>